HealthPoint’s Ongoing Projects
HealthPoint has a continued dedication to providing the best care in the Brazos Valley. For this reason, we constantly look for ways to improve. Our goal is to be the best place for patients to receive care, the best place for providers to practice medicine, and the best place for employees to work. While some of our ongoing projects are patient-facing. Others focus on things like streamlining workflows to increase efficiency. And a renewed focus on employee health, well-being, and retention have led our Senior Leadership Team to dedicate resources to target burnout specifically. You can check out what we are currently working on below, then click on the project title for more information:
Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) was awarded more than $6 billion from the American Rescue Plan to fund Community Health Centers nationwide. Soon thereafter, Community Health Centers were given 60 days to develop a plan to utilize these funds. The plans needed to support activities designed to respond to and eventually recover from the global pandemic. Because of this funding, HealthPoint will have the opportunity to expand operational capacity and improve our processes over the next two years.
Projects funded by the H8F Grant include (but are not limited to):
- Health Information Exchange (HIE)
- Diabetic Retinal Screening Software Integration
- Telehealth Partnership with Caldwell ISD
- Complex Care Management Program
- Updated phone systems
Health Information Exchange (HIE) with Greater Houston HealthConnect
Our goal: HealthPoint has joined the Greater Houston Healthconnect (GHHC) Health Information Exchange (HIE), which allows our organization to access the medical records of participating healthcare facilities, like CHI St. Joseph. Provided that the patient first consented to participate in the program.
UPDATE: We have successfully launched this at BCS and have gotten patients enrolled with no errors from the interface. S&D and the Training Team will determine a rollout schedule to other sites.
- Time of clinic impact: 9/27/2021 (front desk consent process)
- Affected Clinics: All Sites
- 12/21 Update: When this program launched, many of our front desk teams ran into problems with eCW logging them out when they attempted to enroll patients. Our IT team is working hard to get these issues resolved so that we can resume patient enrollment as quickly as possible.
then we have up is Diabetic retinal screening.
Diabetic Retinal Screening
Our goal: The overall goal of this project is to develop a process where HealthPoint patients who are diagnosed with diabetes can receive retinal scans to screen for diabetic retinopathy. Screening for diabetic retinopathy is a common practice. In fact, providers can do it with a handheld or desktop camera. With this in mind, retinal cameras were purchased and allocated to clinics where patients will soon get screened during their visit.
UPDATE: We have scheduled the training for Navasota and Caldwell for the beginning of February and once that is complete, all staff will be trained at the pilot sites. Medical records has received training on how to receive and attach the incoming reports so that providers can receive the results in a timely manner.
Install and training will be launching in December:
- BCS Training: 12/15-16/2021
- Caldwell Training: 12/17/2021
- Navasota Training: 12/14/2021
- Time of clinic impact: December 2021
- Affected Clinics: BCS, Navasota, and Caldwell
- Madisonville has been removed from this list for the time being
- 12/21 Update: By mid-December, the BCS, Caldwell, and Navasota clinics will be receiving retinal screening cameras that will be used to assess diabetic patients to screen for diabetic retinopathy. The BCS clinic will be getting two of these cameras since they have a larger diabetic patient population.
Soon we will be in Caldwell!
Caldwell ISD Telehealth
Our goal: This new telehealth program will allow Caldwell ISD students to see a HealthPoint provider without leaving school. Moreover, parents would have the option to attend the appointment virtually. Thus they would not have to leave work.
UPDATE: Phased rollout will begin at Caldwell Intermediate School on February 7th. Expansion timelines will be determined at a later date but we are hopeful for a mid-march go-live at the next site in March.
- Time of clinic impact: N/A
- Time of Rollout to CISD: December 2021
- Affected Clinics: N/A
- 12/21 Update: Phased rollout will begin at Caldwell Elementary in January 2022 and soon expand to the other campuses.
Complex Care Management
Our goal: Create a care management team that will provide further focused care for HealthPoint patients. Specifically those with complex chronic conditions, thus supporting their continued well-being.
UPDATE: Over the next several months, clinical and population health teams will work with hired consultants, Health Management Associates. Together they will create a complex care management program for HealthPoint patients.
- Time of clinic impact: January 2022
- Affected Clinics: Caldwell, Hearne, and BCS will be initial pilot sites. Eventually, HealthPoint plans to expand this program to all clinics.
UPDATE: The IT team is making their way to each clinic site to train and install the new call queue system through the front desk Mitel phone system. This new system will allow patients to be placed on a queue that the front desk team can manage. The goal is to make incoming calls easier to manage for front desk teams, and act as a “call center” type of system.
Our goal: The goal is to make incoming calls easier to manage for front desk teams, and act as a “call center” type of system.
- The IT team will be making their way to each clinic site to train and install the new call queue system through the front desk Mitel phone system. This new system will allow patients to be placed on a queue that the front desk team can then manage.
- First clinic install date is 12/9/2021 at Bryan Dental
This project together with the next one are going well!
Our goal: Better manage vaccine inventory and reduce workload for clinical staff.
UPDATE: All clinic sites have received their Accuvax units and trainings have been completed for Accuvax superusers and admin users as of 1/27.
The new automated vaccine storage/inventory management system, AccuVax, will be rolling out starting November 1st. By the end of November, every clinic will have these units delivered and installed, and all staff members will have received training from either Ruth, Jackie, or our AccuVax contact, Joe Ellis. Onsite vaccine coordinators and clinic managers have been sent additional information on a separate online training session to learn how to use the web portal version of the AccuVax system.
- Final training date: 11/30/2021 with Madisonville team
- Final web portal training date: 12/01/2021 (For onsite vaccine coordinators and clinic managers only)
- 12/21 Update: Memorial, ABC, BCS, and Trinity have received their new AccuVax units and have gone through training to begin using them. Unfortunately, there were shipping delays with the on units for the remaining clinic sites (Caldwell, Somerville, Hempstead, Navasota, Franklin, Hearne, Rockdale, Centerville, and Madisonville). An updated rollout schedule will be sent to clinic managers as soon as we receive shipping notice. Onsite vaccine coordinators and clinic managers will participate in an online training session to learn how to use the web portal version of the AccuVax system upon arrival.
Additional Ongoing HealthPoint Projects
In addition to the projects funded under the HRSA H8F grant, HealthPoint has partnered with Texas A&M and others to expand our capacity further and improve the patient experience.
Specifically, those include:
- Texas A&M TEACH Program
- Nurse-Family Partnership Program
Nevertheless, moving on
Texas A&M TEACH Program
Our goal: This new program will allow Texas A&M psychology students to provide immediate, onsite behavioral health counseling services to our patients.
UPDATE: The program is in place at Memorial and ABC currently.
- Time of clinic impact: 10/04/2021
- Affected Clinics: Memorial and ABC
- Check out Texas A&M’s TEACH page here.
Nurse-Family Partnership Program
Our goal: Together with the Texas A&M College of Nursing, The Prenatal Clinic, and the TAMU Family Medicine Residency Program, HealthPoint will soon be part of a Nurse-Family Partnership program. In short, this program aims to help first-time mothers in the Brazos Valley throughout their pregnancy and the first two years post-partum.
UPDATE: The Nurse Family Partnership is currently operating within Memorial and ABC clinics. Discussions surrounding the promotion of this program to more patients is in progress, as well as a possible push towards including the rest of the Brazos Valley in this program.
- Time of clinic impact: January 2022
- Affected Clinics: BCS, ABC, and Memorial
In the same way, moving on.
UPDATE: Training was completed with Franklin in January.
Recently, a few members of the Caldwell Clinic team took part in a training with Ruth Alaniz, HealthPoint’s Infection Prevention & Control Supervisor. This early October training was the launch of a pilot a process for managing private stock medication inventory. This medication management program will roll out organization-wide in December.
In conclusion, thank you for your interest in our ongoing HealthPoint projects. HealthPoint seeks to provide evidence-based healthcare utilizing a patient-empowered team approach to achieve individual wellness for all Greater Brazos Valley community members. We do this through a comprehensive approach to your medical needs, including medical, behavioral health, and dental services.
To learn about these projects in greater detail, click the links above or email our Marketing Department.